Snorkeling Silfra & Northern Lights
Your adventure begins with the snorkeling tour of Silfra. Silfra, the famous fissure between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, provides an underwater experience unlike anywhere else on earth. Floating in the crystal clear glacial water will give you the sensation of flying as you pass through an expansive canyon created by the slow separation of the tectonic plates. You will be provided with a dry suit and an undergarment to keep you dry and warm while in the near-freezing water. We recommend that you wear thermal long-underwear and wool socks for additional warmth. Make sure to drink some of the Silfra water while you are snorkeling! Who knows when you will be able to drink water so pure again. After your 30-40 minute snorkeling session in Silfra, you can explore the Thingvellir area as you wish.
Your northern lights hunt will begin later in the evening when you make your way the 20 minute drive from Reykjavík to Aurora Basecamp. Aurora Basecamp is a brand new Northern Lights Observatory where you will get tips on how to spot the lights, how to hunt for them in your rental car, how to take photos of them on your camera and much more, making it a perfect starting point for your Northern Lights hunt in Iceland. At Aurora Basecamp you will also experience a unique indoor simulation of the Northern Lights.
Also known as aurora borealis, northern lights are caused by the effect of solar flares on Earth's athmosphere. They appear in many forms and colors, ranging from green and white to pink and purple. Sometimes they appear as a dancing streak across the sky. At other times, they'll appear as lasers shooting down from outer space. As the possibility of viewing the northern lights depends on both solar activity and weather conditions here on Earth, it is not possible to guarantee the northern lights. However, the simulation in the Dark Park at Aurora Basecamp allows you to see a simulation so real that you will not be disappointed if you are not able to catch the real lights.
- guided snorkeling trip
- all necessary snorkeling equipment
- hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- entrance fee of 1.500 ISK into Silfra
- entrance fee at Aurora Basecamp
- guided tour through the Dark Park at Aurora Basecamp
What's not included
Clothing to be worn under the dry suit and undergarment is not provided. Please bring:
- Long thermal underwear
- Warm wool socks
- Hat, gloves and scarf
What do I need to bring
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- if you wear glasses, please bring contact lenses or your own prescription mask if you have one
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement
- sign our liability release form at the start of the tour
- be between 150cm and 200cm in height
- be between 45kg and 120kg in weight
- fit within our dry suit size chart
- be minimum 12 years of age on the year
- be comfortable in the water and be able to swim
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight and constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
Please note Participants are not allowed on tour without signing the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement and, if necessary, a physician’s approval which can be found on the second page of the Medical Statement document. Please read the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement prior to booking to make sure that you are eligible for the tour. Each participant must sign our liability release form at the start of the tour.