Special Tours operates two types of whale watching from the Old Harbour in Reykjavik, Whale Watching Classic and Whale Watching Express.
The Whale Watching Classic (3-3.5 hours) is normally operated on our largest boat, Andrea.
The Andrea gives extra comfort, with great inside and outside viewing areas. She is very family friendly with an educational and interactive focus with whale bones, baleen plates and teeth. The Classic tours are guided in English year-round, with German guidance available May 1st - September 30th.
The Whale Watching Express (2-2.5 hours) tours are operated on Lilja . Lilja is excellent for whale watching and has fast cruising speed, getting you out to the whale watching grounds in a shorter time.
Special Tours Iceland app with 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and simplified Chinese) available for Android and Apple. It is available for all clients to download during their tour, with both text and audio information. The app is as close to an audio guided wildlife adventure as possible
The most common whales spotted include minke whales, humpback whales, white-beaked dolphins and harbour porpoises.
Whale Watching Classic (All Year):
09:00 - March 1st - November 15th
13:00 - All year
17:00 - May 15th - September 30th
- Seat inside for every passenger
- Guide on every tour, skilled and friendly crew
- Snack bar on board
- Warm overalls for every passenger (also available in children's sizes)
- Free Wifi on board
What's not included
- Hotel transfers (available on request for an additional fee)
- Please note that transfers for the 21:00 departure are not available (June 15th-July 31st).
- Food and drink
What do I need to bring
We recommend wearing warm clothing & sturdy shoes - and don't forget your camera!
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free ticket to join our Whale Watching Classic or Whale Watching Express tour if there are no sightings!
- Please note that transfers are not available for the 21:00 departure (June 15th-July 31st).